A Little History About Solsville, NY...
What became the small but stirring village of Solsville grew up around the grist mill built by Gen. Erastus Cleveland in 1794. The place bore the name Dalrymple's Mills and Howard's Mills at different periods, but finally received its present name from Solomon "Sol" Alcott. Alcott was a manufacturer of Potash.
Taverns, institutions of great importance to the new country and to the immigrating public, were numerous. One of the first, perhaps the first in the area, was kept by Daniel Holbrook, one mile west of Solsville.
The Chenango Canal was put through Solsville beginning in 1833 and completed in 1836. The Summit level was in Bouckville. From Oriskany Falls to Bouckville, a distance of 6 miles, it rises 172'. From Utica to the Summit it rises 706' by 76 locks, and from there descends 303' by 38 locks to the Susquehanna River in Binghamton, NY. The railroad was built in 1866. The Mutual Milk and Cream Company operated on the railroad. About 5,000 pounds of milk were taken daily.
Solsville had grocery stores, blacksmith shops, sawmills, and as many as 4 or 5 milk plants all running at one time. The Hotel with its 10 rooms upstairs was the stop-over for travelers on the canal and later the railroad. Also in the upstairs of the Hotel is a ball room, it held Saturday night dances for all the local people, young and old.
After the railroad went out of business, and as the years passed and the farmers went to bulk tanks on their farms, the milk plants all closed. Solsville is now a quiet country town. The hotel rooms upstairs are currently being used for storage. Downstairs we have a large dining room, a lounge, and a full service bar. We are open 7 days a week. And there's plenty of parking.